CodeIgniter 4 requires PHP version 7.2 or higher. The earlier version requires a minimum PHP 5.3 version or higher.
There is now public directory like in other frameworks. You can now separate the application from the resources (like CSS, JS, files.).
It is much more difficult for attackers.
In this tutorial, I show how you can install the Codeigniter 4 project on Windows and Mac.
1. Enable extensions
php.inifile to enable
- Search extension in the file.
- Remove semicolon (;) if exists to enable the extension.
- Restart the server.
2. Manual Installation
- Download CodeIgniter 4 zip file from here.
- Copy in the
htdocs/folder and extract it.
- Rename the folder (e.g. codeigniter4).
3. Using composer
- Navigate to
htdocs/using Command Prompt if you are on Windows and use the terminal if you are on Mac.
- Run the following command –
composer create-project codeigniter4/appstarter project-root
- Replace project-root with your project name like – codeigniter4.
- If you are getting the following message on the Command prompt while running –
- It means
intlextension is not been enabled.
- To enable the extension follow the step 1.
- Re-run the
composer create-project codeigniter4/appstarter project-root.
- A new codeigniter4 folder will be created.
- Run the project
- On Mac in case, you are not viewing the above page instead following page display –
- Then need to change the permission of the
- Navigate to the project directory using the terminal and execute the following command and refresh the page.
chmod -R 777 writable
Local Development Server
- You can also run the project by starting a local development server.
- Run the following command in the Command Prompt if you are on Windows or on the terminal if you are on Mac.
php spark serve
- Development URL display after starting.
- Run – http://localhost:8080/ in the browser.
You can either install it using a composer or manually. Before installing make sure that the PHP version is 7.2 or higher.
If you found this tutorial helpful then don’t forget to share.